Well, hello to you too Birchbox Canada! I’m really excited to see you here! After some dispointment with other subscription services, I took a long break from sub boxes. It felt like I was getting the same samples over and over again and never using them. My lucky friends and coworkers reaped the benefits of the ones I didn’t like. I just felt like my money was better spent on products I actually wanted. With stores like Sephora offering samples on almost everything, it can be hard to get excited for samples you’re not sure you even need. When I found out that Birchbox was launching in Canada, I jumped to subscribe. From what I’ve seen from other bloggers, Birchbox has been pretty consistently awesome.
December 2014 marks the first Canadian Birchbox. Here is what I received:
1. Amika – Perk Up Dry Shampoo – Full size, 5.3 oz – $26.50; Sample size, .75oz – $3.75. Weightless spray in the brand’s signature obliphica scent that refreshes hair sans residue. Thoughts: I really love the colourful packaging and the scent. I’ll be excited to see how it holds up to my favourite Batiste dry shampoo. For the price, I can’t see myself purchasing a full size since Batiste is less than $10, but I might change my mind when I try it.
2. theBalm Stainiac – Full size, 9 ml – $18; Sample size, 1.2 ml – $2.40. Best-selling stain that gives cheeks and lips a sheer, rosy tint. Thoughts: I have never heard of this product, but I’m kind of impressed. I tested a small bit on my hand and holy, it is a good stain! To be honest, I’m a little worried about using it and making a big mastake and then not being able to get it off!
3. Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner – Full size, 0.04 oz – $18; Sample size, 0.03 oz – $13.50. A luxe, creamy liner from the nYC-based designer for smudge-proof, all day wear. Thoughts: I had no idea Cynthia Rowley was in the makeup biz! I looove the packaging and I looooove black liners. Can’t really go wrong! Really happy to see this.
4. Harvey Prince Hello Body Cream – Full Size, 12 oz – $26; Sample size, .51 oz – $1. Infused with the best-selling citrus-floral scent, this hydrator leaves skin silky smooth. Thoughts: I’m going to be frank: I hate the smell of this. I tried some on my hands and I find it really strong. Even after washing my hands, the scent is still really present and is kind of giving me a headache. I don’t even think I’d give this sample away.
5. Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator – Full Size, 12 oz – $34; Sample size, .071 oz – $5.70. This customer face mimics the effects of microdermabrasion for glowing, smooth skin. Thoughts: Really, really excited to try this! I’ve read good things about this cleanser and Vasanti products.
Total Value: $26.35
Not a bad first month with Birchbox Canada! The only thing missing is the $10 Gap giftcard or code. Maybe I’m blind, but I can’t seem to find how to redeem it. I can’t say I’m blown away, but it was a more exciting box than a lot of my past subscription boxes. I am going to keep my subscription active at least for a few months and see what else comes my way. If you’re interested in signing up with Birchbox Canada, please feel free to use my referral link. Canadian subscribers pay $14.95 per month, all in. Boxes ship from the US on the 10th of the month by UPS (mine took about 4 days to get to me in Ontario). On a customer service note, I was gifted with 100 free points since my account listed November 23rd as the shipping date for my first box. That’s a $10 credit in the Birchbox Canada, which is actually pretty decent! It looks like the products that we get in the boxes ship free, so if I like any of them enough to purchase, the credit will be nice.
Did you sign up for Bircxhbox Canada? What was in your first Birchbox?
P.S – Don’t forget to enter the $350 Visa gift card giveaway! Only a few days left