What’s the first thing you think of when you think of Miami? Hot weather, the beach and bright colours right? Exactly! Okay, probably Will Smith too, am I right? ArtDeco has released a new limited edition collection for summer, the Miami collection. The collection features nail polishes, liquid eyeliners, eyeshadow sticks and a mascara in the perfect bright shades that just scream summer. Even my cat, The General, couldn’t resist playing with them!
I got the chance to play with the limited edition All in One waterproof mascara, All in One liquid liner and a couple of the Long-lasting eyeshadow sticks. Also included in the collection are nail polishes and lip glosses in complimentary Miami shades. I was in Miami for a few days in April – I really think the shades in this collection are on point for the colours of the city.
The Waterproof All In One mascara (Black, No. 71 – $21) is a great volumizing mascara that has a really unique brush. The formula is really nice and my lashes always felt soft instead of the brittle feeling I find with waterproof formulas. I wore the All In One to the beach and got hit square in the face with some large waves. The mascara barely budged! I had my boyfriend play smudge cop and he never once had to tell me I had to go wipe it off. Pretty impressive!
The Long-Lasting Eyeshadow Sticks (above in shades Tropical Monsoon No. 24, and Metropolitan City, No. 42 – $16) come in 8 summery shades and are super easy to use to add some colour into your daily makeup routine. The shimmery white shade is great as a highlighter and the green is awesome for a quick, colourful eye. The shadow sticks are blendable and long lasting throughout really humid days. They also make a great base if you have a complimentary shadow. I really like using them under my lash line for just a hint of colour. *perfume and mineral oil free
My favourite from the collection is the All in One liquid liner (above in shade Sea Port, No. 15 – $23). I love this navy shade with a hint of shimmer. I never thought blue would compliment green eyes but I am happy to say that it works! The liquid liner dried fast and stays on all day without any traveling to my crease like some liners do. I also really like the tip, it’s a really flexible foam tip that is really easy to create a nice winged liner look with. *paraben and mineral oil free
The Miami Brights collection from ArtDeco is in select Shopper’s Drug Mart stores now. Be sure to check out the collection, and the permanent ArtDeco collection. You won’t be disappointed! I am so happy to see this great German brand in Canada!
Have you tried any of the brights from the Miami collection? What about from ArtDeco’s permanent line?
It’s the time of year where the weather in my area gets so hot and muggy, by the end of the day, most of my makeup has melted off of my face. Seriously, I am always on the hunt for products that keep my makeup on my face all day. With so many primers on the market, I’ve tried quite a few and none have left me impressed.I fully admit that I was starting to think primers weren’t worth the hype. Until I tried the HD Primer from Make Up For Ever.
I received the HD primer in #7 pink to review. I chose the pink shade for it’s brightening properties. There are 7 shades: from the neutral white shade, to shades that help cover redness.
The HD Primer comes in a 1oz pump bottle. I find one pump is enough product for my face. There is a slight floral scent, but it dissipates as it dries – big for me because I don’t seem to do well with scented products. There is a light micro shimmer that appears when dried, leaving a really nice, glowing look. The HD primer can also be used alone, on the days you don’t want to wear makeup.
The HD primer is amazing! I’ve been using it daily and am super impressed! I’ve taken it with me on my recent travels, and it has stood up to some really humid weather. This primer is definitely a keeper, especially after the other primers I’ve bought. Another thing I really like is that it seems to have a mattifying effect. I normally have shine by lunch time, but with this primer, I’m shine free all day. I also haven’t noticed any breakouts that I can attribute to the primer. The pink shade is supposed to have brightening effects, but I can’t say I noticed anything. With that said, I think that the green shade or white primer would be better suited for my skin.
Seriously, if you can grab a sample of the HD primer, use it, love it, then get your hands on a full size bottle. You won’t regret it! I’ll definitely be purchasing a bottle when this one is out.
- $39/1oz at Sephora and Make Up For Ever boutiques and online
- 7 shades from neutral to brightening
- Lightly scented, but even if your scent-sitive, it shouldn’t bother you
- Long-lasting, easily 10 hours before my makeup starts showing signs of wearing off
Have you used Make Up For Ever’s HD Primer before? What shade works for you?
Nail Polish Canada is doing an INSANE polish giveaway!! One winner will take home up to 200 nail polish from over 10 different brands! Bloggers have nominated shades to add to the prize pool – right now it’s at 110 polishes, but it can up to 200! NCLA, Cirque Colors and Picture Polish are just a few of the awesome brands one of you could take home.
I nominated Cirque’s Queen Majesty to add to the pool. This amazing purple is high on my wishlist – if you win, you must send me photos!
By nominating a polish, I get to add my name to list of bloggers participating, and all of you get an extra way to enter the contest. Be sure to fill out the Rafflecopter form for your chance to win! **The giveaway is open to North America only, sorry international friends – keep your eyes on the blog for a giveaway open to you soon!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
During the hot summer months, I like to change up my skincare routine and keep it really simple. I like to keep things light when I can – out with the oils, heavy creams, in with the basics. I feel like between the sun and the moisture from the humidity, my skin calms down and takes a bit of a vacation during the summer. I don’t need to rely on super strength products for healthy looking skin. Here are my top 5 summer skin care products:
1. LUSH Celestial moisturizer* (45g/$24.95) – I’m loving this moisturizer for a few reasons: 1 – it moisturizes without feeling heavy or clogging. 2. It can be used as a heavy night cream (so nice on the days where I got a bit too much sun on my face). 3 – It dries to this somewhat tacky finish which seems to work like a primer. It’s a really great moisturizer, so if you’re in the market for a natural moisturizer, be sure to check this one out from Lush!
2. Marcelle Ultra Gentle Cleansing Gel (350ml/$12.95) – I LOVE this cleanser! I’ve been using it since January and let me tell you, it’s amazing. It’s super gentle, non-irritating, it rinses well (no filmy residue), you can use it wet or dry, it removes waterproof makeup, it’s great for all skin types…I could go on about this cleanser but it would be faster for you to try some for yourself!
3. L’Occitane Angelica Exfoliating Gel (75ml/$32) – The Angelica Exfoliating Gel may be a bit pricey, but a little goes a long way so you won’t need to run out every month for another tube. I like to exfoliate my skin at least twice a week and this gel does a really great job at it. It has a very fine grain and natural microbeads to slough off dead skin and stimulate circulation, leaving your face super soft and looking refreshed.
4. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (40m/$25) – I have professed my love for this acne fighter before. My opinion of Effaclar Duo hasn’t changed, i just use it more as a spot-treatment than an all over treatment now.
5. Yum Lemongrass Tonic (8oz./$37 online) ask your Esthetician about the brand and starter kits – I picked this toner up at the Esthetics Show in Toronto being familiar with the brand since we use their Glycolic at school. I wanted something that would help keep oil at bay during the warmer months. This toner does the trick! Yum uses mostly organic and natural ingredients in their skincare line making their products great for sensitive skin.
These are my top 5 summer skincare products, what are yours? Do you find you tone down your skincare in the summer?
*this product was provided for editorial purposes but does not bear any weight on my opinion
What better way to kick off summer than by winning a $500 Visa giftcard?! The Blogazons have come together again so that one of our lucky readers can score some new summer clothes, makeup, or get whatever they want with their $500!! I know I would be buying one of those blow up pools if I won.
Be sure to check out the other participating blogs. The Blogazon Summer Giveaway runs until June 30th. One winner will be chosen and entries verified. Open internationally.
What would you buy with a $500 Visa giftcard?
a Rafflecopter giveaway
May was a super busy month for me: I was in Philadelphia for a work conference at the beginning of the month (where I took an exam and received a designation that I’m really proud of!), back for one week, and then I was in Hungary with my mom for the rest of the month. Since I traveled so much, I tried to be conscious of my makeup choices when I was packing.
OK, so maybe not too conscious, considering I took two cosmetic bags full of makeup and brushes on both trips! I like to have options! You never know when you’re going to need to rock a smokey eye, right?!
As it turned out, when I was in Hungary I didn’t even touch a quarter of the products I brought. Instead, I opted for quick and easy makeup looks. Here are my favourite products that I used in May:
1. L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara in Black – This is my go-to mascara and has been for years. After my essence mascara was ‘misplaced’ by housekeeping in Philadelphia, I picked up a new tube knowing that it would work for me.
2. MAC eyeshadow in ‘Jest’ – This soft pink adds a bit of colour without being too bright. A quick wash of colour and I’m good to go. Very feminine and works with pretty much all of my outfits
3. Covergirl Instant Cheekbones Contouring Blush in ‘Sophisticated Sable’ – Consider this my holy grail blush. The combination of the three shades is so, so flattering! Pigmentation is great, it’s long lasting, and it’s my favourite blush. I wear this almost every day.
4. Urban Decay Primer Potion – I have so many eye primers but I really wanted to try the original formula more after getting samples when I bought the Naked 3. I definitely get the hype over this primer now!
5. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eyeliners in ‘Zero’ and ‘Demolition’ – Hands down, these liners are my favourite, even over gel liners which I used to wear daily. They do not budge all day, look super glossy, and seriously glide on effortlessly. I’m in love with these liners and am ready to give up my gels!
What are your May favourites? Have you tried any of my favourites?